Saturday, June 9, 2007

Class feedback: What do I want to get from this track?

1. Faith:

  • Why? Why faith? When God created this world, He could have set it up anyway He wanted. So, why did He set it up requiring faith? Faith is crucial. Without it, we cannot please Him. Why? Of all the attributes and characteristics of this life . . . Why set it up so faith is fundamental? Why the mystery? Why faith?
  • What do I need most for living out my faith (What do I need from this class)? What can be addressed in this class?
  • I would like to live out my faith more; with a stronger burning desire to save others, and I want to be able to see those opportunities that God brings into my life.
    How do I live out my faith? What do I need most to live out my faith? What does this class need to address to help me do this? “How-to’s” – ways to prioritize God in my life.
  • One concern I have is our changing culture – lack of faith especially among the youth – even those who grow up in the church. We can/cannot understand this new thinking. How do we encourage our children in faith?

2. Spiritual Discipline

  • To be challenged to go deeper in my walk through the disciples – class setting focused on the Word.
  • Spiritual disciplines: What are they? Where are they found in the Bible? What is the purpose of them? What are some real life examples of them?

3. Trusting in God

  • Complete trust! Totally surrendered! Boldness! These are areas of focus needed.
  • Trusting God to provide my (and my family’s) daily bread, instead of taking matters solely into my own hands.
  • My greatest challenge in the Christian life is to deal with sin and failure (and their consequences) in my Christian life. Trusting that God is Sovereign, even over [serious] mistakes and having the faith to press forward and be a witness, and have “hope for this life” while living with the consequences of the past.

4. Prayer and Praying for Others

  • What should we pray for, what should we ask for?
  • What ways are there, and maybe places to retreat and become silent before the Lord?


5. Finding Time to Serve God

  • Managing time schedule: i. e. There are things that need to be done just to maintain life (work, cook, laundry, etc.) -things that are important (exercise, relationships, ministry). I’ve tried the often “course-led:” There will be plenty of time to rest in heaven,” which caused physical, emotional and spiritual debility. So how do I manage to do what needs to be done without either exhausting myself or protecting re-charging overzealously – time?
  • There is a daily struggle in my life with the overwhelming number of things I need to accomplish and internal and external stress and emphasis on perfection that sometimes I lose sight of God and His purpose in my life ( I forget I don’t need to do it all myself, but with God and He gives me these challenges).


6. Dealing with Fear and Uncertainty

  • The biggest challenge in my life is letting my light shine before men.
  • How to tell people about Jesus; being led by His Spirit to do that; to lean on Him; not be self-conscious – afraid.
  • How to not fear what others may think. How to live through the Spirit, to death the sinful nature.
  • Self-control
  • How can we be “in the world” but not of the world? “All things are permitted but not all things are beneficial.” So often Christians and non-Christians are indistinguishable.
  • When is it right to be controversial? What truth do you share at the beginning and which do you keep for later?
  • What should I change in my life to follow God and not blindly follow our culture – or the way of this world?
  • What are some practical ways to live out forgiveness?

7. Tithing

  • One aspect of living our faith that I’d like us to cover is tithing and financial stewardship. Are we suppose to give 10% to the church, or can we give part of that to either Godly work such as homeless shelter, or food for the poor? Some people say we must first give 10% to the church, then give beyond that. What if we don’t agree with that high amount our church puts into supporting missions in other places . . . ?

8. General Questions/Comments About Living Out Our Faith:

  • I want to know more about God at work because I have a hard time with my workers.
  • I like what we did today. One simple, practical life transforming Spirit led thing to focus on each week. Thanks!!

No comments: